Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Poker Night - Chez Smith

Bex - The Card Shark!
Adam organised a poker night at our apartment after most of his work mates expressed a desire to have a pizza/poker night. So all of the team descended upon our apartment for 'the big game'.

Initially Jen and myself, being the only girls, decided that we'd keep ourselves occupied with a chick flick and a few glasses of wine. Our husbands' however had other ideas! Yep, they stumped up the $20 stake money for us each and told us that we were in! Oh God! I haven't played poker in ages, normally get impatient and end up betting wild crazy amounts of money to keep it interesting, only to lose it all! To make matters worse I can't remember anything about what makes a good hand! Jen has never played before, so is in an even worse position than me! Could this be a cunning ploy to lure us in and spit us out?!

Determined we were going to give it a good go we looked up the poker hands on line, tried to commit as much to memory as possible and had a practice round to ease us in. The game was now for real, with only a slight pause in proceedings for pizza. As the night went on, people were having to buy in for another $20 (the betting was rather crazily high in the beginning) Slowly but surely, one by one the players began to drop out as all their stake money and other buy ins had been lost. In the end Adam, Jen, Sam, Ross and myself were the only players out of 9 to take any money home.

It turns out that I actually did rather well considering my initial reluctance to play! I in fact was the ‘big chip winner’ and managed to win $120 profit! I had a rather big smile on my face as the chips were being counted and Jen and myself found it rather amusing that the two reluctant lady poker players actually ended up doing pretty good!


No comments:

Post a Comment