Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mad Money!

Getting Used To Aussie Money
As you will probably know from going on holiday, it can take a bit of time to get used to a different currency. What does each coin/note look like and what is its value? I feel pretty secure now in knowing the different values of the notes and coins and what they look like. It now means less embarrassing moments in shops, rooting through my purse, trying to find the correct coins or notes to use.

I did suffer one embarrassing moment when I was out shopping very early on and whilst I was still settling in and getting a feel for everything (Well that's my excuse anyway!) I had gone into the city and wanted to find some nice cards to send to Laura and Emma. I found the perfect cards in a book store (the books here are astronomically priced, by the way. I will be stocking up back in the UK and possibly via Amazon, if I am able) One was a card with cupcakes and bears on for Laura and the other, a card with some rather fancy Christian Louboutin esq style shoes on the front, for Emma. Feeling very pleased with my self I set off over to the cash desk to pay. Now each card was priced at $5.99 so a total price of $11.98. Perfect, I've got $12 cash on me. After I paid for the cards, I waited patiently for my receipt and change. I got the receipt, but no change! What's going on? I ask for my change...
"you don't get any change!' was my reply.
"Surely, I'm owed 2c change!' I said.
"We don't have coins lower than 5c' I am told.
"Oh, right. I reply in dismay. Spot the English Pommy eh!

How very bizarre! Why on earth would they advertise something as 99c and you not be able to pay the exact money or get the correct change! No wonder Australia rather smugly announced the other day that they have officially not gone into recession, unlike the rest of the world. Obviously not, if they're managing to keep all the change owed to poor customers all over the country. I bet it really mounts up. Why not just say that the blinkin' cards are $6 each instead of $5.99?! Note to myself - Pay by card, at least then you are charged the correct amount and end up saving money!

Just in case you wanted to know a pub quiz fact, apparently they did have 1c and 2c coins, but phased them out in 1990! Below are pictures for your own reference and a web link to a page that will tell you all about the history of money in Australia.




1 comment:

  1. How bizarre! What a cheek, they are effectively stealing from you. Well done for the credit card and exact amounts. I wonder too how much all those 1s and 2s would add up to!
    Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete