Sunday, May 10, 2009

Domestic Goddess Trainee Tries Her Hand At Baking Cupcakes!

Baking cupcakes
After my 'chicken triumph' I thought that it would be a good idea to give baking a try. After all, I can't become a fully qualified 'Domestic Goddess' until I've begun to master all of the domestic arts!

There is a fab little shop over the road from our appartment, that sells all kinds of kitchen and dining equipment. I decided that this was the place I needed to visit to get all the necessary equipment. I felt very pleased when I was able to purchase all the equipment I wanted;
  • An electric hand held mixer/whisk (I can do gadgets as well as Adam)
  • A bun tray
  • Paper cake cases
  • Piping bag and nossles
  • A flour sifter
I was very tempted to buy a pretty tiered cupcake stand, but held back. Maybe next time, if the cakes taste good!

I then headed over to the supermarket to buy all the ingredients I would need to bake chocolate cupcakes (I found a yummy looking recipe on line)

I followed the recipe almost exactly, but decided against the coffee granules and the almond meal. I just left them out. My mixer worked a treat. It was almost too powerful at times, especially when dealing with icing sugar for the topping! I had to be very careful that I didn't disappear in a cloud of Icing sugar! The mixture seemed quite runny once I had finished the cake mix, but I decided to press on... After 25 mins they came out looking just like little cakes, hooray. I made a bit of a mess with the icing bag, but I think they turned out ok for a first attempt. Must practice my icing piping!

The all important taste test ... Adam and myself had one each.
"They were very tasty" (Me)
"Delicious" (Adam)
Well done me.




1 comment:

  1. Just looked at the photo of the cakes - they did look good! Did you put jelly sweets on the top? I couldn't quite see.
    Love Mumxxx

    ReplyDelete